TOUR and Excursions
Just 30 minutes away from the International Punta Raisi airport (today named Falcone e Borsellino),and trapani Birgi airport. Easily reachable from the seaports of Trapani and Palermo through the Palermo-Trapani-Mazara del Vallo highway. Thanks to its strategic position, only 20 minutes away from the beach, you'll have the chance to go on one-day field trips. Our staff will recommend pathways and roads to reach your destinations in the shortest time possible. Indeed, all of the itineraries we suggest can be reached in a short amount of time, departing in the morning and returning in the evening.
Tours and Excursions
By special arrangement with several specialised tour guides and travel firms, Tarantola is happy to offer you a choice of enjoyable excursions during your stay with us. Each is unique, so please CONTACT US for specific pricing. The following are outlines of tours which can be easily personalised to your interests and curiosities.
Medieval Palermo and Monreale: Here the legacy of Sicily's Norman kings comes alive. See Palermo Cathedral, the Norman Palace, Saint John of the Hermits Monastery and, following lunch, hilltop Monreale Abbey.
Aristocratic Palermo: Visit the Norman Palace of Sicily's first kings, with its Phoenician foundations and palatine chapel. Then we'll see Palazzo Mirto, a Baroque residence of a noble family, and the Steri, a medieval castle.
Judaic Palermo: Highlights of Palermo's little-known Jewish heritage, built by a community which flourished in the city until the end of the fifteenth century.
Discovering Palermo: Sites and monuments that give you a lasting impression of this colorful city: a medieval street market, the imposing Cathedral, the Martorana and its mosaics, Piazza Pretoria Fountain, Palazzo Mirto and more.
Theme Tours: As you can see from these descriptions, it's easy to plan a tour itinerary dedicated to a specific theme - for example, Baroque or Byzantine architecture, interesting churches, the colourful Kalsa, the local gardens, Palermo's castles.
Charming Cefalù: Drive along the coast to the seaside town of Cefalù. See its stunning Norman Cathedral, stately medieval Cloister, and ancient stone streets. Lunch, if you wish, at a local seafood restaurant along the shore in the old city walls.
Segesta and Erice: These fascinating places are relatively near Tarantola. Segesta's ancient Greek temple is one of the best-preserved in the world. Founded by Carthaginians, Erice (anciently Eryx) is a charming hilltop town with stone streets and delightful treasures that include great restaurants and pastry shops.
Mozia: This small island off Marsala has an archaeological site where an ancient Phoenician city, later known as Mothia, was established around 800 BC. There isn't much standing architecture - it's mostly ground-level foundations and walls - but the site is worth visiting if you're a hardcore archaeology aficionado.
Trapani's Salt Marshes and Windmills: Sea salt is still harvested and processed here. A few of the old windmills remain and one is part of an interesting museum.
Winery Tours in Sicily's Wine Country
More than a tour or excursion, it's a unique, day-long experience in the heart of one of Europe's largest, oldest and most important wine-growing regions.
- Your day begins with a visit to Peregrine Winery in Marsala. Here Marsala wine has-been made ??for over two centuries.
- Next you'll tour Gorgo del Drago Winery's Tarantola Estate Winery, where the family has head Cultivated vineyards since the nineteenth century. Enjoy lunch with Head Count.
- This afternoon, you'll visit a winery in the area of ??Alcamo.
- Please contact us for pricing, 'which is based on your exact itinerary and the size of your group.
The tour can be modified according to your requirements
- Wine Roads (Visit to the cellars)
- Visit to oil mills
- Guided tour to Alcamo 's monuments
- Alcamo 's thermal waters ( Hot Springs )
- The Gulf of Castellammare
- Alcamo Marina
- Segesta ( Temple and Archeological Park) (27 Luglio - 2 settembre Segesta Rappresentazioni teatrali )
- Scopello (Guidaloca beach)
- The Zingaro Natural Reserve
- San Vito Lo Capo beach 25-30 Settembre 2007 : Cous Cous Festival
- The Island of Favignana
- Marsala-Mozia (Le Vie del Sale)
- Mondello beach
- Castellammare del Golfo
- The Cathedral of Monreale
- Piana degli Albanesi
- Le cave di Cusa
- Isole dello Stagnone
- Gibellina - Orestiadi di Gibellina 11 Luglio - 22 dicembre Gibellina: Orestiadi 2007
- Trapani :The Church of Sant'Agostino , The Church of Santa Maria di Gesù,The magnificent Basilica-Sanctuary of Maria Santissima Annunziata,'Fontana di Tritone (Triton's Fountain), The Baroque Palazzo della Giudecca 'or Casa Ciambra, The Cathedral (1635)
- Palermo : Palazzo dei Normanni,Palazzina Cinese,Palazzo Abatellis,Museo archeologico Regionale A. Salinas, Museo Etnografico Siciliano Giuseppe Pitrè,Castello della Zisa,Cattedrale di Palermo, Chiesa di San Giovanni degli Eremiti,Chiesa di San Giovanni dei Lebbrosi, Chiesa di San Cataldo, Chiesa della Martorana, Chiesa di San Giovanni degli Eremiti, Chiesa della Magione, Chiesa di Santa Caterina,Chiesa di San Francesco d'Assisi,Oratorio di San Lorenzo,Oratorio del Rosario di San Domenico, Chiesa di Santa Maria dello Spasimo, Chiesa di Sant’Agostino,Teatro Massimo, Teatro Politeama,Fontana Pretoria, Fontana del Genio